WELCOME to BOARD AID!

Step 1 Guide for the Average Student

Okay, this guide is for normal students out there, petrified about the USMLE step 1. To see if you are that student, I will give you some background info. I am an above average student, that typically gets good grades, but I am a poor test taker, somehow the material learned does not transfer to my answering test questions, especially standardized tests, I am talking SAT, MCAT etc. So going into the USMLE, I had a chip on my shoulder about conquering this big beast that everyone talks about. Needless to say, I was stressed, my pre-studying simulated exams were dismal, below 50% at times, I could barely stay awake for the 4 hour practice NBME exam. So here is how I went about passing this test.

1. Follow your own instincts, just because other students claim to study for only 4 weeks, doesn’t mean you have to, If you know you barely studied the first 2 years, or just crammed for exams, then you might want to start during spring break, maybe even winter break. Not intense studying, but just familiarizing yourself to the books, materials etc.
2. Don’t go crazy with too many books, yeah, yeah everyone says this, but I wish I could get back the money wasted on eBay and Amazon, on books I never even opened.
3. Don’t try to change your studying style now, do what works
4. USMLE is DOABLE, it is not as bad as it seems, and putting unnecessary pressure on your self is counterproductive. Seriously, I think the MCAT in some way was harder than the USMLE, and you made it through that, so relax.
5. okay, no more advice, here are my resources (Ps- I thought I would have better things to say, but I guess, most of my sage advice are clichés, but after typing all this out, I am not deleting this okay, sorry!)

Gross Anatomy: I think I over studied this, but I was really bad in gross, so I spent more time with this---FA and HY Gross anatomy
Embryology: Also wasted too much time, but I aced this section on my test, so I guess it wasn’t wasted---FA and HY embryology
Neuroanatomy: I sucked in Neuro, and I struggled with it, so I dedicated time to it, just for my self (nothing defeats me) --- HY Neuroanatomy and Kaplan (Neuro section)
Biochemistry, Cell biology, Genetics---Kaplan (excellent Biochem section, went through several times)
Physiology--- BRS physiology (I am not a BRS fan, I hate studying from bullets and sometimes I like the whole menu, not just the daily specials) went through once, but made sure to take extensive notes in FA, and staple copies of important tables into FA.

Aside: Excessive note taking in FA is pointless, when you try to review later, the clutter becomes annoying, and distracting. The only subjects worth writing notes into FA for are Physiology and Anatomy.

Pharmacology: FA (one of the few good sections in FA), Kaplan (wasn’t great, but I had the book so, pharmacology is just something you memorize, if you study it to early, you will forget it, so plan your studying well, and include lots of review time).

Microbiology: A skim through CMMRS (retained few mnemonics), Kaplan (pretty good IMO), Katzung’s (only the appendix covering important bugs to know)

Immunology: Kaplan

Behavioral: Kaplan, skimmed BRS behavioral (I wish I spent more time on this, though)

Pathology: I bought a brand new BRS pathology just for the boards, and I read it only once, I didn’t retain anything, it actually made me panic, considering Path was the biggest part on the test. I recommend using this book with your classes, but for boards’ pathology: GOLJAN, GOLJAN, GOLJAN, GOLJAN, just in case you missed than Goljan. He is single handedly the best board review resource by far. I think many medical students; owe this great teacher a lot. He is just a phenomenal teacher. I am not an auditory learner, so I initially bypassed Goljan that is one of my biggest regrets. There are so many bootleg Goljan items out there, but I suggest you buy his rapid review book, the new edition is rather large, but it is worth it IMO.

Misc: If you have time, I would also recommend HY histology, a secret gem, hiding under the wrong title, as it is more of a general review book covering the other HY series. Look at pictures: FA, Goljan etc

Questions:
Qbank- a good way to evaluate your studying, but wasting too much time reviewing this is a waste of time, completed just 50% (I wish I finished it though).
Qbook- good, used to break up the monotony of computer studying
BSS-great resource unfortunately discovered it, my last week of reviewing, so only completed like 200 questions, but doing that little was helpful. So something to consider if you have time
Released CD-didn’t do it, easier than the real thing
NBME: All four-last 2 done 2 weeks and 1 week till test date (scores were below average)
Another mistake, was not doing enough questions, or doing an 8 hour simulated exam to get my body used to the exam. Trust me by block 5, your eyes and mind are fighting to be set free.

Sorry, for the long novel, but several people on SDN helped me, get through my panic, doubt, and I promised God, that if I did well, I would write a guide to help others like me.

I won’t post my exact score here, because people know me on here. But it was (very) above average. I am just so grateful to God, that I don’t have to take this test again, I would have settled for just passing, so this is pretty sweet.

Finally, I reiterate do what works for you, don’t just follow other people methods, including my own, well except the Goljan thing, and the FA thing.

Goodluck!!!

by Dr. Anonymous